Sunday, April 10, 2011

Egg Addition

We have been working on addition in my class a lot lately. My students seem be getting it quite well although we are still working on the counting on thing. I had been trying to think of something I could do with easter eggs and this came to mind.

I filled my easter eggs with those two sided counters, you know the red and yellow ones and gave one to each student and they were to dump out the easter egg and write the addition problem they saw. Ex. 3 red and 4 yellow would be 3+4= and then they had to write the answer.

Here is cute little paper to go with it.

Hatch an Egg

When I filled the eggs I filled all the pink with 5 the green with 6 the purple with 7 and so on so I could check my students work. I had them color a little dot of the color of egg they were using to the side so I would know which egg they had done but once I passed out the eggs and a few minutes had gone by they were so in to it they weren't careful about putting all of the little counters back in and so my system was unreliable. I was walking around the entire time and I felt like that gave me a great idea of who was getting it and who was struggling.


We had great fun with this activity and I hope you can use it in one way or another.

What other kinds of fun things do you do with addition in your classroom?

L

No comments:

Post a Comment